Sunday 17 June 2012

The First must be last?


"If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last and the servant of all"

Mark 9:33-37 (NIV)They came to Capernaum. When he was in the house, he asked them, "What were you arguing about on the road?" [34] But they kept quiet because on the way they had argued about who was the greatest. [35] Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all." [36] He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, [37] "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me."

Why is it so hard to have pure motives?

Mark 9:33-34 (NIV)They came to Capernaum. When he was in the house, he asked them, "What were you arguing about on the road?" [34] But they kept quiet because on the way they had argued about who was the greatest.


In the presence of Jesus our motives are exposed.

Jesus was aware that the end was coming and His focus shifted to teaching the Disciples.

How does it feel to know that Jesus can peer into your heart and expose your motives?

- challenging 
- helping
- what would Jesus think?
- strength to hold back

Why did the Disciples have this argument?

- different backgrounds from Humble fishermen to well educated.
- pushy mother of John and James
- they still haven't learnt and understood
- were they thinking of succession from Jesus
- male bravado "I'm the best..."
- ambition - there was an inner circle
- human

Why do so many families argue on the way to church and then suddenly appear all smiles when they get there?

This is similar to :-

Mark 9:34 (NIV)But they kept quiet because on the way they had argued about who was the greatest.

Why did Jesus use a question rather than just telling them off?

Mark 9:33 (NIV)
...... he asked them, "What were you arguing about on the road?"

They know that He knows what they were talking about. 

This brings the truth home to them with impact.

Mark 9:35 (NIV)Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."

By sitting down Jesus was specifically teaching.

How can exemplify the "last shall be first" in

- the workplace
- the dinner table
- at church 
- in our small groups

A good leader would not ask anyone to do something that they would not be prepared to do.

The Greek word for child also means servant.

What does it say about the disciples argument after Jesus had just said..

Mark 9:30-32 (NIV)They left that place and passed through Galilee. Jesus did not want anyone to know where they were, [31] because he was teaching his disciples. He said to them, "The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into the hands of men. They will kill him, and after three days he will rise." [32] But they did not understand what he meant and were afraid to ask him about it. 

Mark 9:36-37 (NIV)He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, [37] "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me."

What comes to mind when we realise that welcoming others is the same as welcoming God.

Matthew 25:35-44 (NIV)For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, [36] I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' [37] "Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? [38] When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? [39] When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' [40] "The King will reply, `I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' [41] "Then he will say to those on his left, `Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. [42] For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, [43] I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' [44] "They also will answer, `Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

How are the themes of welcoming and servanthood related?

How can we adapt our lives to move from self preservation to servanthood?

- do we move from what is in it for me to what can I do to serve?

Would we be willing to serve if it is costly?

No comments:

Post a Comment