Monday 9 July 2012

I got hit by an Internet scam today


I don’t believe it!

I got hit by a scam this week through an email and actually downloaded a virus onto my wife’s PC.

I’m waiting for my Raspberry Pi and I know that it will be delivered by DHL.  When I got an email from DHL saying that it had been dispatched I got very excited.  The only problem was that the tracking code was not recognised? Attached to the email was an attachment which pretended to be a text document - it wasn’t.  It was actually an executable which infected the PC.  A quick bit of virus eradication later and it was gone.

The moral of this story is that even tech savvy geeks like me can easily fall for a scam when you are excited about something being delivered!

Take care out there and watch out for malicious emails pretending to be from DHL.

More details are available here from DHL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment