Wednesday 15 February 2012

Duryard Halls - Exeter University


Memories of Exeter and the University (part I) - Duryard Halls

I have very fond memories of living in Duryard Halls whilst studying at Exeter University.


I was very sad to find the halls demolished when I went to visit a couple of years ago.  They were very out of date even when I graduated back in 1997.



Duryard Halls provided accommodation from 1964 until 2007, latterly for around 650 students. These halls were the residence of Harry Potter author JK Rowling, Punchdrunk director Felix Barrett and pop singer and winner of Pop Idol, Will Young and actor Adam Campbell who shared a room in Hetherington House.
Duryard Halls were spread over four houses, surrounding the old Duryard House and its drive: Moberly named for Walter Hamilton Moberly; Murray, named for John Murray; Hetherington, named for Hector Hetherington; and Jessie Montgomery. In 2007 demolition work started on all the halls, except for Moberly and the grade II listed Duryard House, with the intention of providing seven new accommodation blocks to house 630 students

All images taken by me!

The stone table


All that remains of Hetherington House

Looking down on the sad remains of Kay House

Grade II listed Duryard House

Very sad ....

Kay House



Some very happy times here - sad to see it all gone

3 comments:

  1. Spent two very happy years here at Exeter University. Why did they to demolish a part of my history?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe there are so few photos online of Duryard pre-demolition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe there are so few photos online of Duryard pre-demolition.

    ReplyDelete