Friday 17 February 2012

Does God still speak to us today?

As a Christian I believe that God is very real in my life.  A question I often get asked is "Does God speak to you?"


The Bible clearly says that God spoke audible to people in the past and there are many examples of this recorded.



Jeremiah 1:7

New International Version (NIV)
 7 But the LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.


I have never heard God speak to me in a clear and audible voice but I do believe that it does still happen.


So how does God speak to us today?


1. God speaks to us through His word - the Bible


2 Timothy 3:16-17

New International Version (NIV)
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

2. God speaks to use through impressions, events and thoughts

1 Timothy 1:5

New International Version (NIV)
5 The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

God is in the process of renewing our minds

Romans 12:2

New International Version (NIV)
2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

God allows events to change and shape us.


James 1:2-5

New International Version (NIV)
Trials and Temptations
 2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

There are many other times and places where God can speak.

  • through people
  • through answer to prayer 
  • through nature and the created world

Has God spoken to you?






No comments:

Post a Comment