Saturday 17 December 2011

John Lewis Christmas Advert 2011

I have really enjoyed watching the John Lewis Christmas Advert (2011)



It's been really interesting reading the comments on YouTube because apparently (according to the Trolls - sorry) the video is racist.

In my opinion the advert is extremely well crafted and tells a lovely visual story.  The ad doesn't try to tell the real meaning of Christmas but does say that it is better to give that receive.

Acts 20:35

New International Version (NIV)
35 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”




But after reading many of the comments I agree that because the family is a fairly affluent middle class white family this does not make it inherently racist.


I think that today branding someone a racist or an action racism is done very quickly without thought of what was actually said and done.  A good definition of racism is:


Racism is the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups justify discrimination.


I don't think that the John Lewis Christmas ad demonstrates this.  If anything this is more a video based on Middle class values and experiences.  Perhaps if we are being picky the video could it have also included a boy in social housing on the middle of a housing estate?


I think the video is great - well done John Lewis!

No comments:

Post a Comment